Calorie counters take notice: your job is about to get a whole lot easier. READ MORE
A Columbus County man charged Monday in a shooting from April was found not guilty by a jury last year in another shooting. READ MORE
A Wilmington Police Department corporal took the stand Monday to defend himself against allegations of excessive force in the arrest of a teen. READ MORE
SOUTHEASTERN, NC -- Across the country 911 centers in some states still have trouble locating the people calling into 911.
According to USA Today READ MORE
By the time Leon Wright landed on the beach at Normandy, it was littered with the bodies of those who had gone in with the first wave on D-Day. READ MORE
Editor's Note: This story ran in the StarNews in 2012. Time references and the newspaper's former style rules, such as the use of courtesy titles, have been left. Five weeks after helping to sink a READ MORE
- Why is there a fence around a few trees at the entrance to Wheel Estates on Military Cutoff Road?
- Has anyone around here ever won the Publishers Clearing House sweepstakes?
- Who were some of the big-name acts that performed in Brogden Hall?
- Did a plane crash in the woods behind Laney High School years ago?
- Who is responsible for repairing a cut-up section of Jabbertown Road?
Special features & contests
Our Ship: Batttleship North Carolina
Since 1941 the USS North Carolina has served the people and jump-started imaginations.
Cape Fear Cares
We take a look at the vibrant nonprofit sector in Southeastern North Carolina.
Eat, Drink & Be Merry
From worldwide fare to local originals and favorites, we'll take you on a culinary journey
Travel in the Carolinas
Whether you're looking for a weekend getaway, a day trip or something more substantial, we've got you covered.
Free Ticket Tuesday!
Leave a comment on the WAE Free Ticket Tuesday blog post on Tuesday by 5 p.m. and you could win a pair of tickets.
Crime rates in eastern North Carolina
Explore the rates of various crimes in an 18-county region of eastern North Carolina since 2003.
Most popular baby names
Find out the most popular baby names in New Hanover County in recent years.
Compare homes sold in Wilmington and New Hanover County in 2014. You can search by street, city, ZIP code or price
More news videos
Israel indicts French immigrants in 9.1 million euro scam
16 min ago
Abandoned boy reflects Japan's attitude on discipline, abuse
18 min ago
- EgyptAir plane resumes flight to China after bomb threat
32 min ago
- Afghan official: Taliban kill 12 captives taken in southeast
53 min ago
- Refer Eritrea's human rights crimes to ICC, UN group says
53 min ago
- 5 places you've seen Joshua Jackson since he left Wilmington and 'Dawson's Creek'
- 5 tips to help visitors avoid a bad day at the beach
- 5 unconventional summer activities for grown-ups to try locally
- 9 ways to beat the rain this Memorial Day weekend
- 8 famous ships (that aren't the Battleship) that called Wilmington home
Share with us
List an event
Submit an event to be included in calendar listings in the StarNews and at StarNewsOnline.
Share your photos
Post your photos of local people and places, from community events and fundraisers to wildlife and your pets.
Submit a story idea
Tell us about news happening in your area that you'd like the StarNews to cover.
Share your opinions
Tell us what you think in a letter to the editor or the comments on StarNews articles.
Local crime reports
Stay up to date, on the go
Get the eEdition, a page-by-page digital version of the StarNews on your computer, tablet or phone.
Follow us at Facebook.com/StarNewsMedia.
Visit StarNewsOnline.com/RSS for a list of our RSS feeds.
Check out our iPhone app, BlackBerry shortcut or m.starnewsonline.com to get news updates on your cell phone.
Free email newsletter
and email alertsClick here to sign up for daily headlines or email alerts delivered to your inbox.
Visit StarNewsOnline.com/twitter to see a list of our Twitter feeds.
'Wilm on Film': The book
“Wilm on Film,” a book from StarNews Media, chronicles more than 25 years of TV and film production along the Cape Fear.
Buy a StarNews photo
Want a copy of a photo you've seen in the StarNews? Call or email to get reprints of shots by StarNews photographers in your choice of sizes.
2015 StarNews Commemorative Cup
The 2015 cup showcases "Fort Fisher Sunday School" by artist -- and bestselling author -- Clyde Edgerton.